Pages

24 February 2012

♦ ♣ ♥ ♠ An interesting offer ♦ ♣ ♥ ♠

I had a message on Etsy the other day by an editor of a US magazine. They offered to pay for a step-by-step guide for something similar to my Autumn Buttonhole.
I had come across requests like this. You hear horror stories of waiting for payment, items not being returned and designs being adapted to suit the reader. I have never really had an opinion about it although I know that I would never go down that road, it would go against the bespoke label i put on all my creations.

It was bad enough finding someone online had copied my designs. I know I am not the first or the last to use playing cards and even though it was for their own personal use it didn’t ease the creative torment I went through. They acknowledged me and my website which was fine, but it still niggled away especially when they stated how easy it was to create their own. Over the past few years I have strived to develop and perfect every last detail in my creations, something that people forget about. The money is one thing but the time you can’t get back.

Anyway, I sent a reply back and tried my hardest to sound appreciative of the positive comments they made even though at the back of my mind I was thinking that they say it to everyone and that I was just another ‘crafter’ they were targeting. I never in a million years expected to get a reply like I did. Personal, understanding and very complimentary of my work. Apparently they fell in love with my creations. It was just what I needed to hear. It has been a few weeks since I have had the glue gun on and even longer since I have made a feather order. I think it was just what I needed to hear to get me going again.

So this weekend I will be chatting to my good friend Ellen about the creations for her wedding in June (of which I am very much looking forward to. The theme is right up my street, and it is not Alice in Wonderland) and I will be putting the final touches to my entry to the MOE (Milliners of Etsy) Team Challenge to create a hat inspired by a painting.

I can’t wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment